打印 上一主题 下一主题
楼主
跳转到指定楼层
分享到:
发表于 2009-12-1 09:53:55 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
《温哥华来客》这本书,我每天都坚持读一个片断,学习的过程中,我也每天整理一个片断,贴出来与大家共享,希望家人喜欢。 

Episode 1

Making flight reservations

Parker: The name is Parker. I am the sales manager of Pacific industries , Ltd., Vancouver, Canada. We are not the biggest producer of chemical fertilizer in the world, but I think we are the best. Right now we’re expanding our operations and especially, our export trade. Mr.Goodwin is firmly behind the idea…oh, yes, I forgot. Mr.John Goodwin is President of the corporation and Chairman of the Board of Directors. He believes the future of our corporation depends largely upon its developing trade with the Third World. As a matter of a fact, at this very moment he’s planning a trip to the People’s Republic of China to negotiate a very importand transaction. I’m going along. Mr. Goodwin has put me in charge of making all the arrangements for the journey.

(Intercom buzzes)

Sarah: Yes, Mr. Parker.

Parker: Sarah, I’d like you to book me three tickets on a flight to Beijing.

Sarah:when do you want to leave?

Parker: next Monday morning.

Sarah: Fine. Oh…. I’ll need the names, Mr. Parker.

Parker: Mr. And Mrs. Goodwin and I will be going.

Sarah: I presume you’ll want the first-class seats.

Parker: Yes, thank you for reminding me. Also, would you reserve a typewriter for Mr. Goodwin on board the airplane? Mr. Goodwin likes to work during the flight.

Sarah: I’ll try.

Parker: will you call me when you’ve made the reservations because I want to send a telex to Beijing to confirm the time of our arrival?

(Pause: Intercom buzzes again)

Parker: Yes?

Sarah: I’ve got three seats for you on JAL Flight 766, which departs from Vancouver International next Monday morning at 9:35. there’s no direct flight to Beijing. You’ll have a two-hour stopover in Tokyo before continuing to Beijing.

Parker: Sounds good, Sarah. Thank you.

Sarah: I will call the airline Sunday night to reconfirm.

Parker:that’s very kind of you.

Sarah: I was able to reserve a typewriter for Mr. Goodwin.

Parker: Fine.

Sarah: Do you want me to send someone down to the travel agency to pick up the tickets?

Parker: no need. We’ll just pick them up ourselves when we go out to the airport.

Sarah: All right.

Parker: Thank you, Sarah.

Sarah: Don’t mention it.

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2009-12-2 09:39:33 | 只看该作者

Episode 2

Sending a telex

Parker: My secretary, Sarah Sloan, has made reservations for a flight to Beijing for Mr. And Mrs. Goodwin and myself, leaving Vancouver next Monday morning. now, I’ll have to telex the details of this flight to Beijing so that our Chinese friends can book rooms for us at a local hotel. The last time Mr. Goodwin visited Beijing, he saw a great new hotel being built in the northeastern section of the city. He spoke to me about it in glowing terms. So, I’ll mention the hotel in my telex in hopes that perhaps we’ll be able to stay there during our visit.

(sound of door opening)

Sarah: are you ready to telex Beijing, Mr. Parker?

Parker: Yes, come in. Pull up a chair and I will dictate the message to you now. let me see, it’s ten o’clock in the morning here. What time is it in Beijing?

Sarah: They’re sixteen hours ahead of uf. It’s two o’clcok in the morning there. We probably won’t get a reply today.

Parker: Tomorrow is all right. Address the telex to Li Wei Vice-president of China National Chemicals Import and export corporation, Beijing. Got that?

Sarah: Right.

Parker: Arriving Tuesday, April 27, on board JAL flight Number 766, scheduled to arrive at capital airport 13:00 hours. Bringing my wife Emily, and my sales manager, Mr. David Parker. Could you book us two rooms, preferably at the Great Wall Hotel, for two weeks? We would appreciate your making arrangements for us to visit the guangzhou fair after our talks. We look forward to seeing you again and to signing the contract at an early date. With best regards, John Goodwin.

Sarah: Is that all?

Parker: Yes, plese send it off right away, will you?

(Pause)

(Buzzer)

Parker: yes?

Sarah: we’ve just received a reply to our telex to Beijing. Do you want me to bring you a copy?

Parker: No, just read it to me. I’m rather busy right now.

Sarah: all right. Thank you for your telex. We welcome you to Beijing. We will meet you at the airport and do all we can to make your stay a pleasant one. We have made arrangements at the Great wall Hotel for you and open reservations at the White Swan hotel in guangzhou during the fair. Like you, we look forward to a successful conclusion to our business negotiations, which will no doubt bring about closer ties between our two corporations. This telex is signed by Liwei, Vice-President.

Parker: that sounds very encouraging, Sarah. So we are staying at the Great wall Hotel. Mr. Goodwin will be pleased about that. I think I’ll need a copy of the telex to take with me when I go to see Mr. Goodwin.

板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2009-12-3 09:20:49 | 只看该作者

Episode 3

Mr. Goodwin makes preparations

Parker: Now that flight arrangements have been made and a reply to our telex to China has been received, I am on my way to meet Mr. Goodwin to give him the good news. He’s a busy man these days. He’s been on the phone for the past week with government officials in       Ottawa and also with the various managers and directors of our branches.

(knocks on door. Sound of door opening)

Good morning, John.

Goodwin: Good morning, David. Come right in. pull up a chair. How about a cup of coffee?

Parker: No, thanks. I’ve already had two this morning.

(sound of door closing)

Goodwin: Now, what’s on your mind?

Parker: I want to talk about our trip to Beijing.

Goodwin: fine. Let me ask you first. Has Evans collected the indents for Chinese products yet? I wonder, could you talk to him about it?

Parker: everything’s been taken care of. He was collecting them when I spoke with him yesterday. He should have them for you today.

Goodwin: Charles informed me that he had sent you our production shedule for the next 12 months.

Parker: You’ll find it in your file. I sent it in to you this morning. do you have it?

Goodwin: Is this it? Oh, yes. Here it is. And what about the claims, David? Have you looked into them?

Parker: yes, I have. I went through them last night at home, and I’m having Sarah type up my report. She will bring it to you within an hour or so.

Goodwin: (pause, a chuckle) you’re right on top of this thing, aren’t you, David? I don’t know what I do without you.

Parker: this is my job, John. It’s what you pay me money for.

Goodwin: if we can sign this contract, there’s a good chance we won’t go into the red. In fact, we’ll come out better than we did last year. When we return form Beijing, I’ll have to go befor my Boark. I don’t want to return empty-handed. I want to prove them that developing trade with our friends in the Third World is the key to our financila success. You don’t agree?

Parker: (Surprised) What? Oh, yes. I certainly agree.

Goodwin: you looked…worried for a monment.

Parker:I was thinking of something else.

Goodwin: you were thinking of international chemical.

Parker: yes, as a matter of fact, I was. I was wondering why they didn’t get a contract last month. They’re a lot bigger and more powerful than we are.

Goodwin: (Laughs heartily) look on the bright side of things, David. This only strengthens our position. the Chinese know our product is good and our price reasonable. They knw we can deliver on time. We’ve done business with them in the past. They like dealing with someone they know.

Parker: that much is true. Oh, I almost forgot. Here’s the telex from Beijing. It just came in. you’ll be happy to see that we have reservations at the Great Wall Hotel.

Goodwin: wonderful! I saw the hotel going up last time I was there. How did you know I wanted to stay there?

Parker: it’s my job.

楼主| 发表于 2009-12-5 08:53:56 | 只看该作者

Episode 4

Emily Goodwin talks about her visit to Beijing

Emily: everything’s set now. We’ve booked on a flight to Beijing, our chinese hosts are going to meet us at the airports. They’ve made reservations for us at the Great Wall Hotel in Beijing and also at the White Swan Hotel in Guangzhou. (pause) What’s China lika? John Goodwin has been there many times, but Emily, and I have never been there. Emily goodwin works for a large department store in vancouver as its west coast manager. Just before we leave, I’m invited out to the Goodwin’s house for supper.

(sound: silverware, dishes, glasses, music in background)

Goodwin: David tells me he’s already packed and ready to go, Emily.

Emily: I wish I could say the same!

Parker: well, my wife Mary packed my bags for me before she left for Ottawa yesterday.

Emily: I’m sorry she’s not coming along with us.

Parker: she went to a conference. By the way, Emily, while we men are sitting around in little rooms working, what will you be doing?

Emily: I will be outside buying things from China.

Parker: silks and embroideries and jade, things like that?

Emily: yes, of course. Many other things,too. All our friends have already placed order with me.

Goodwin: emily’s going to China to have some fun, David. But she’s also going there to work hard. Hudson’s Bay is sending her there to buy textiles.

Emily: I’ve been to South America many times, as you know. Last year I went to Paris and London. This year the company’s sending me to Beijing to look at fabrics and perhaps also some ready-to-wear clothing. Beijing is the centre of the clothing industry in China.

Parker: well, I’ve been to Hudson’s Bay many times to look at woollen carpets and chinaware, and I noted that much of it came from China.

Emily: the company has given me the right to purchase products if they’re the right price.

Goodwin:so I shall try to sell them something and emily will try to buy somethin. A good business proposition, don’t you think?

Parker: well, it sounds like we’ll all be working. At least I thought I could count on Emily having some fun. What is that saying? ‘all work and no fun makes Jack a dull boy.’

Emily: my work is fun, David.

Goodwin: don’t worry. We’ll have plenty time for fun. It’s spring time in Beijing and the Great wall and the Forbidden city and the temple of heaven are there just waiting for us.

Parker: now you have me interested!

楼主| 发表于 2009-12-10 09:59:58 | 只看该作者

Episode 4

Emily Goodwin talks about her visit to Beijing

Emily: everything’s set now. We’ve booked on a flight to Beijing, our chinese hosts are going to meet us at the airports. They’ve made reservations for us at the Great Wall Hotel in Beijing and also at the White Swan Hotel in Guangzhou. (pause) What’s China lika? John Goodwin has been there many times, but Emily, and I have never been there. Emily goodwin works for a large department store in vancouver as its west coast manager. Just before we leave, I’m invited out to the Goodwin’s house for supper.

(sound: silverware, dishes, glasses, music in background)

Goodwin: David tells me he’s already packed and ready to go, Emily.

Emily: I wish I could say the same!

Parker: well, my wife Mary packed my bags for me before she left for Ottawa yesterday.

Emily: I’m sorry she’s not coming along with us.

Parker: she went to a conference. By the way, Emily, while we men are sitting around in little rooms working, what will you be doing?

Emily: I will be outside buying things from China.

Parker: silks and embroideries and jade, things like that?

Emily: yes, of course. Many other things,too. All our friends have already placed order with me.

Goodwin: emily’s going to China to have some fun, David. But she’s also going there to work hard. Hudson’s Bay is sending her there to buy textiles.

Emily: I’ve been to South America many times, as you know. Last year I went to Paris and London. This year the company’s sending me to Beijing to look at fabrics and perhaps also some ready-to-wear clothing. Beijing is the centre of the clothing industry in China.

Parker: well, I’ve been to Hudson’s Bay many times to look at woollen carpets and chinaware, and I noted that much of it came from China.

Emily: the company has given me the right to purchase products if they’re the right price.

Goodwin:so I shall try to sell them something and emily will try to buy somethin. A good business proposition, don’t you think?

Parker: well, it sounds like we’ll all be working. At least I thought I could count on Emily having some fun. What is that saying? ‘all work and no fun makes Jack a dull boy.’

Emily: my work is fun, David.

Goodwin: don’t worry. We’ll have plenty time for fun. It’s spring time in Beijing and the Great wall and the Forbidden city and the temple of heaven are there just waiting for us.

Parker: now you have me interested!

楼主| 发表于 2009-12-10 10:00:22 | 只看该作者

Episode 5

Airport chec-in

Parker: well, we are on our way to China at last. I never realized how many things you had to do before you left the country. We had to get passports and visas, and we had to get our vaccinations, buy traveller’s cheques, pack our suitcases. The morning we leave for Beijing, I get up at the crack of dawn, have a quick breakfast and wait for the Goodwins. They drive to my house first and then we head for the airport. It takes us almost on hour to reach the airport because of the early morning traffic. Once there, we drive up the long ramp and stop in front of the JAL check-in counter,  we unload the car while Mr. Goodwin gives instructions to the parking attendent, who will put his car into the underground parking lot until we return. We then walk in through the glass doors and up to the check-in counter.

(At the check-in counter)

Clerk: Good morning, may I see your tieckets, please?

Goodwin: we left words with your office that we would pick the tickets up here. The name is Goodwin. Mr. And Mrs.Goodwin and Mr.parker.

Clerk: oh, yes. Here they are. You’re going to Beijing, right? Flight 766. do you have your passports? May I see them? Thank you. Now, will you please put your baggage on the scales?  How many pieces do you want to check in?

Goodwin: three. The others are hand baggage.

Clerk: fine. Now, will you write your names on these baggage tags, one for each bag?  Good. You have three seats in the first-class compartment.  Seats 14A and 14B and 12B. here are your boarding passes, baggage checks and tickets.

Goodwin: thank you.

Voice: your attention, please. Japan air lines announce the departure of Flight JAL 766, to Tokyo and Beijing. Will all passengers for this flight please proceed to Customs and Immigration for clearance immediately.

Immigration officer:good morning. are you all canadian citizens?

All: yes.

I.O.: may I see your passports? Thank you. Where are you going? Parker: to China.

I.O.: for what purpose?

Parker: Business.

O.F.: and how long will you be gone?

Goodwin: About two weeks and a half.

O.F.: Thank you. Have a nice trip.

All: thanks.

O.F.: take your passports and tickets over there. The customs officer may want to ask you some questions.

Parker: the young man in the customs section merely asks us a few questions and does not ask us to open our bags. After that we are required to walk through a metal detector and they run our carr-on baggage through an x-ray machine. Security is very tight these days because there’ve been so many hijackings. We take our carry-on bags and proceed them our pre-boarding area, which is far down a long passageway in the International Lounge.

Voice: your attention, please. This is the final call for Japan Air Lines flight JAL 766 to Tokyo and Beijing. Will all passengers for this flight please proceed at once to Gate Three of boarding.

楼主| 发表于 2009-12-10 10:00:49 | 只看该作者

Episode 6

Arriving at Beijing

Parker: we’ve just landed at the Capital Airport in Bejing. It was a long flight, but we had a stopover in Tokyo. I slept part of the way and worked with John Goodwin for four hours. Before landing at Beijing, the stewardess asked each of us to fill out a customs declaration form and a health declaration form. John Goodwin is actually beaming when he leaves the plane. I don’t remember him ever being so confident and poised. After a short walk we find ourselves in the customs area.

(sounds of people taking)

You do have your custom declaration, don’t you, Emily?

Emily: yes, right here. I listed my camera. That’s all I have along with me.

Goodwin: and here’s mine. I have a camera,  a small transistor radio and a pocket calculator.

Parker: you both forgot to list your watches. Here is a pen. You can add them to the list.

Custom officer: Good afternoon. Welcome to China.

ALL: Thanks.

Officer: may I please see your passports, customs and health declaration forms?

All: yes,here.

Officer: thank you. I presume all three of you are togethrer. Mr. Goodwin, what is your occupation?

Goodwin: I am the president of Pacific Industries, Ltd. Vancouver, Canada.

Officer: thank you. and you, Mrs.Goodwin.

Emily: I work for the Hudson’s bay company, vancouver.

Officer: thank you. Mr. Parker.

Parker: I am sales manager for Pacific Industries.

Officer: you are all here on business, I presume?

Goodwin: yes. We’ve been invited by China National Chemicals Import and Export Corporation for business talks. My wife will be meeting representatives of the clothing and fabric industries.

Officer: I see. How long will you be staying?

Goodwin: a little over two weeks.

Officer: your forms seem to be in order, I’ll keep your health declaration and return your customs declaration. Please keep them with you and be prepared to surrender them when you leave China.

Officer: is this your first visit to China?

Goodwin: my wife and Mr.Parker are visiting for the first time, but I came here as a student in the 1950s and returned in the 1960s as a tourist. Last year I came to Beijing on business.

Officer: I wish you a pleasant stay in China.

All: thank you.

Officer: you may claim you baggage over there.

Goodwin: let’s go.

Emily: I’m ready.

Goodwin: david? David? What’s the matter?

Parker: what? Oh, sorry. I…I though I saw someone I recognized.

Goodwin: where?

Parker: he’s gone now. no, I’m sure I was mistaken.

Goodwinet’s go find LiWei.

使用高级回帖 (可批量传图、插入视频等)快速回复

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 加入

本版积分规则   Ctrl + Enter 快速发布  

发帖时请遵守我国法律,网站会将有关你发帖内容、时间以及发帖IP地址等记录保留,只要接到合法请求,即会将信息提供给有关政府机构。
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表