金宏伟 发表于 2007-4-6 15:23:14

密歇根大学教授拒绝清华大学学生申请读Ph.D.的回信

(Sat Mar 31 13:12:32 2007) <br/>letter from a professor majored in ME,U OF MICHIGAN,US <br/><br/>Dear xxx: <br/><br/>I would like to inform you of the situation relevant to Chinese graduate <br/>students here, at least at our department, which makes it very difficult for us <br/>to accept graduate students from China in the future. <br/><br/>Over about one year period, we have had 6 Chinese Ph.D. students quit their <br/>RAship and Ph.D. studies. The reason for them to leave was not that they could <br/>not continue, it was rather because they want to have a job now (a higher <br/>salary, with a hope that the companies will apply for their green card status). <br/>They came with thier promises to pursue their Ph.D. degrees, we paid tuition <br/>for them to take courses for their Master degree, and we taught and helped them <br/>in their research capabilities. Once they got their M.S. degree in Mechanical <br/>Engeering, because of the excellent job market in the U.S. at this time, it is <br/>relatively easy for them to find a job. In a way we felt that we were used as a <br/>step for those Chinese students to come here, and get their master's degree, <br/>then get their jobs. We pay approximately $45-50 K/year for each Ph.D. student, <br/>including the tuition, health insurance, various fees, lab and computer fees, <br/>and monthly salary, we also put a lot of time and efforts for them. They (most <br/>of them) also did good research work as assistants. However, we don't get <br/>credit because we don't produce PH.D's, which is one of our major purposes as <br/>an institution of high education. On the other hand, they have their particular <br/>interests which are also understandable, for example, financial pressure, and <br/>wishes to have their green card applications on the way asap. <br/><br/>This situation also happened to my Chinese Ph.D.student. He is very talented <br/>and did a good job in research. However, after he got his M.S. in M.E., he <br/>resigned very recently. We still let him stay here presently (with salary) for <br/>one more month, otherwise he will have to repay his tuition, which is over <br/>$10K. Although we are very considerate for those students, the consequencies <br/>are obvious: <br/><br/>(1) It greatly degraded the reputation of Chinese graduate students who apply <br/>for admission. Some professors address those as "very unethical", "you really <br/>cannot trust them when they promise you to pursue their Ph.D. degrees under <br/>your supervision", " you feel you are so stupid as cheated by your own <br/>student". It really created some resentment. Actually, I know, as of this time, <br/>there are a couple of more students looking for a job or already got a job <br/>offer, but not telling their advisors. They will quit at the last minute <br/>before they leave. This situation will certainly get backfired, and the damadge <br/>will mostly be transferred onto the future applicants from China. <br/><br/>(2) Some professors or research scientists have already made their decisions <br/>not to consider Chinese student applications. Although it should not and cannot <br/>be a policy, it is the individual's decision in selecting future Ph.D. students <br/>with preference, and in my opinion, with good reasons. It will make it much <br/>more difficult for us to bring in Ph.D. students from China. For example, as <br/>you know, I was looking for one or two Ph.D. students later this year, and I <br/>have a vacancy for a Ph.D. student now. But I will not consider Chinese <br/>applicants. At the same time I feel truely sorry, for I know, especially many <br/>graduate students from Tsinghua University of very high qualifications sent <br/>email applications to me (and to other professors), including yourself. Now I <br/>have to inform you that please try your applications elsewhere, or other <br/>professors. <br/><br/>In our department, many Chinese graduate students know me and we have a very <br/>friendly relationships. The faculty members know that too. One told me: "You <br/>try to help them, then they screw you up!" <br/><br/>I spent time to write this email message, for your information and <br/>considerations, as to how this situation may be somehow alleviated. You may <br/>discuss this with your close friends and classmates, I am not sure you should <br/>broadly propagate this message. But I did present a fact and an <br/>opinion... <br/>

wooingwbt 发表于 2007-4-6 17:09:49

sigh 感叹一个

freetzxh 发表于 2007-4-6 17:29:06

<p>哎,钱,绿卡和道德</p><p>真是道德的缺失阿</p>

风啸岳麓 发表于 2007-4-6 17:59:33

<p>无奈!</p><p>做学问真的没前途?</p><p></p>

lq_edward 发表于 2007-4-7 09:39:31

<p>很同情这个老教授,中国人的确现在变的很功利。为了利益可以使道德沦丧,可以容忍信用的缺失。我也应当反思自己是否有时太功利,是否总是以自我为中心。</p>

ruixutao 发表于 2007-4-7 10:41:10

<p>没眼看下去了了,看看国家都培养了些什么人</p><p>越是“厉害”的“人才”越是急着逃离这片国土</p><p>而这些人,逃离之后呢?还不一样被人看不起?</p>

lldtm 发表于 2007-4-7 13:18:48

情况很复杂,不可一概而论,但是中国人普遍的急功近利,信仰缺失,社会戾气太高等等现状是该每一个有责任的中国人思考反思的。<br/>

zhulongxue 发表于 2007-4-7 14:54:16

<p>人无信不立啊,希望我们的留学生们注意自己的形象,别给国人丢脸!</p>

yfdy 发表于 2007-4-7 15:38:00

这像是中国人写的东西。。。

乐天兔 发表于 2007-4-7 21:12:09

<p>奇怪,我居然全看懂了</p><p>肯定不是源自老外的亲笔。</p><p></p>
页: [1] 2
查看完整版本: 密歇根大学教授拒绝清华大学学生申请读Ph.D.的回信